Saturday, April 8, 2017

Rainbow Scrap Challenge and more...

The color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap challenge is mixed up colors. We all have those multi~colored fabrics that don't fit into any one color category. Those are the fabrics to play with in April. 
Since I am doing mini spools this year for the challenge, I am calling this months spools variegated threads. I found plenty of scraps to play with in my scrap bin Ü
For each spool, instead of using multiple fabrics, I choose one fabric and cut it in narrow strips and the mixed them up. We will see how they play with the other spools as the year progresses. I may try some more of these if I find the  time.
I'm linking up over at So Scrappy for Scrap Happy Saturday! Go on over and check out what's happening there!

I have been using the same monthly color for The Milky Way QAL over at Blossom Heart Quilts. The star for the month of April is Arcturus. I picked 2 coordinating multi~colored fabrics for this star. I'm hoping that it will play well with the other stars as the QAL progresses. 

I am not 100% satisfied with this block especially when I read that Arcturus is the 4th brightest star in the sky.  
My goal is to only use scraps from my stash so I will leave it for now. 

Yesterday, I went to the International Quilt Festival here in Chicago (Rosemont). I will leave you with a few of my favorites from the show!
 technique is pretty amazing! Tiny scraps with and overlay of netting.
Tulip Fields by Denise Oyama Miller




Beautiful colors and details!

This quilt won a blue ribbon! The quilt below is one of the blocks made full size. The challenge was taking traditional blocks and making them modern.


I'm a little partial to this quilt! Celebrating my beloved hometown Cubbies!

There were so many more! Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. LOVE that top right Spool and that you shared your favorites from the quilt show!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for the eye candy today. Your spools are cute. I like the different browns. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like what you did with the mulit-colored spool fabric. very clever and effective!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great spool blocks, Love your idea of using one fabric cut up lots. I love the Play Well Together quilt, thanks for showing a few and with the labels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute mini thread spool blocks. I really like your choice of fabrics in your star.
    Thanks for sharing the quilt show. I got to go to the regional MQX one in New England today and am feeling really inspired ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing so many fun things it is hard to comment on just one.....great way to get rid of those scraps for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those new scrappy spools. It's a great idea to cut up a single fabric design and then stitch it back together mixed up.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments